Third Way
I read about Unity08 in this month’s Atlantic, and I’m thinking about signing up. Third parties have an interesting history in America, and not just because of Ralph Nader in 2000 or John Anderson (technically not a third party, just independent). There’s Teddy Roosevelt, of course, and H. Ross Perot, too. The idea of Unity08 – creating a centrist ticket by combining candidates from the two majors – is perhaps more akin to Anderson’s candidacy than it is to that of the others. And that’s the point where it falls apart for me. I don’t regard myself as committed to two-party politics. In Australia, where we’ve got a state election coming up in March, I’m more than a little open to voting Greens or Democrats rather than Labor (Liberal’s just right out). But they’re viable, established parties with a federal presence. While the Democrats have seen support shrink to nearly nothing, they’re still in there, and the Greens are doing pretty well, too, even if Peter Garrett took up Labor’s preselection offer in the last federal election. If I am going to vote for a third party candidate in the U.S., it’s because the candidate has the political appeal, the policies I support. Unity08 seems like more of the kind of nonsense that had Democrats in the U.S. trying to draft John McCain. Bipartisanship is all well and good, but a bipartisan ticket? Sounds like somebody’s been watching too much ”West Wing” (or, worse, ”Commander in Chief). Nevertheless, I like the process, I like the possible effects, and I especially like the participatory intentions. Maybe I’ll try out for delegate from Australia.
29 January 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm still embarrassed by my vote for John Anderson in 1980, and I have come to the conclusion that third parties aren't the answer. Part of the problem is that the present system has candidates running to their respective bases at either end of the spectrum in order to secure the nomination, then trying to run to the center in the general-- although I'm not so sure that this is as big an issue with the Democrats. (We aren't putting Dennis Kucinich up, after all.) Maybe it would be easier if more people were prepared to cross the aisle. I hate McCain, and I'm no fan of Kerry's, but I give Kerry some credit for floating the idea of recruiting McCain as a running mate.
Unity08 is a front, set up by right wing lobbyist Jim Jonas. They've consistently refused to disclose just who their "grassroots" donors are, have been ordered by the FEC to refile as a PAC because of their finance disclosure violations, and one of their big donors has been found out to be Edward J. Mathias, managing director of the Carlyle Group.. who are making billions off our war with Iraq, both George W, and George HW Bush, as well as Osama bin Laden's brother are big time members of the Carlyle Group. http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2007/02/09/30-million-mathias/
This looks like another attempt by Bush's cronies to keep the money flowing into their pockets when the Shrub finally has to step down.
Post a Comment