26 April 2007

12
Based on - well, it wasn't a recommendation - word from the Counsellor, I was killing time browsing a CD shop and ended up with Patti Smith's Twelve. I have a lot of respect for Patti Smith, as a songwriter, a poet, a singer. The songs selected here are all interesting, but I have to agree with most of the reviews: sticking to faithful renditions wasn't the best choice for how to cover them. Smith's voice and phrasing are distinctive, but that's not really enough. It's good, just not great, but will bear repeated listening. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," the Tears for Fears number, kinda sticks in my head, in particular, which may just be me being stuck in my 'eighties self.

3 comments:

Bill said...

Sorry to hear about that-- I liked the cut I downloaded.

My latest disappointment is Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes' Greatest Hits. Terrific material, but terrible engineering-- the sound is so poor I can barely stand to listen to it. I guess that explains why I have loved the band as a live act for years, but never owned one of their sides.

Bill said...

Still, Christgau gives it a positive review. This sort of thing-- like tribute albums-- was really more useful when mixtapes were in vogue. I'm tempted by it, but since I have "Gimme Shelter" on my ipod, maybe that's enough.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I wouldn't mind getting a burn off of this. Haven't heard anything of her in awhile.