Reprise
I hadn’t previously heard of the Don’t Look Back Concert series, but when I saw the Died Pretty were slated to play the Enmore as part of the Australian sets, running through what’s considered one of their best albums, “Doughboy Hollow,” I knew M. (who’d been on the scene with these guys and even has a co-writing credit on one of their songs) and I had to attend. The series has had some real classics, and this was no exception. Ed Kuepper, originally from the Saints, later the Laughing Clowns, opened with his album, “Honey Steel’s Gold,” putting on a terrific show in his own right, but it was the Died Pretty’s night, and I’ll never understand why these guys didn’t make it in the States, let alone much bigger globally. Ron Peno’s vocals are terrific, and he’s got real stage presence. When he cuts loose, Brett Myers plays a mean guitar, and has lost none of his chops. They hit the stage at about 9:30, and for the next two hours the audience was enthralled. A couple of encores allowed them to run through a near “best of” (including M.’s number) and kept the place rocking right along.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment