03 March 2008

And There Was
I hadn’t actually planned it, but finding myself by the Dendy in Newtown at the right time, I stopped in to watch There Will Be Blood. Daniel Day-Lewis is beyond terrific. Barely holding on to a civilized façade, he goes so entirely bat-shit crazy over the course of this movie, it leaves your own mind reeling. I was also quite taken with the music, which I recall the New Yorker pointing out as a highlight of the production. It’s very spare, but highly effective. Paul Thomas Anderson was certainly a viable contender for that Directing Oscar. I’ll have to go see No Country for Old Men (I’d been waiting until I’d read the book) to see how the Coen brothers beat him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Net Flix is so insidious we have not yet seen either film but want to see both. Now we will have to wait a half a year to get them on disc because they've both moved on.