Moving House
It’s a little counter-intuitive at my age, but I’ve exchanged contracts on a new home of my own. Over the next six weeks I’ll need to pack everything up and hire a mover, but as of April 25, I’ll be in a nice two-bedroom garden flat in Glebe. And there’s a pet door already installed for the cats, conveniently enough. I’ll probably never see them again, outside of dinner time.
It all happened rather quickly. I’d been thinking of Marrickville, where I’d seen a nice flat, and Alexandria, where I’d seen a one-bedroom, loft-style unit, and which was very convenient to transport, if not to anything else, very modern, but when I asked about the Glebe place and found the price was more in my range than I’d expected, I “gazumped” – that is, made an offer above the one that had already been accepted, but where the contracts had not yet been signed. We moved very fast thereafter, with me handing over some tens of thousands of dollars in downpayment yesterday afternoon. Before close-of-business, I was the new home owner, at least contractually.
Properly, I’m in Forest Lodge, but convenient to transport, shopping, and all the best bits of Glebe (like Gleebooks, the best independent bookstore in the city). Anyway, I don’t know how long the real estate webpage will stay up, but if you want a look, there’s photos and a floor plan here. Don’t be put off by the purple feature wall.
12 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Is that a bathroom I see in the back yard?
That's the laundry.
Mazel Tov!! What fun you will have repainting the bilious green bath AND the purple wall.
It's nice to think that we will have a place to stay when we come to visit...and we ARE going to do that again fairly soon.
Alas, the bilious green bath is the tiles, and while they'd be paintable, that isn't an appealing option, and there's no money for retiling. No, I think bilious green may stay. The purple feature wall I will take under advisement. My print of Shiva & Parvati might look good against that background.
But thanks. The cats and I will sleep on the couch next time you're here.
But wait! I thought you said the new place will have two bedrooms. does this mean one bedroom is for you and the other for the cats? When we come, could you not share one of the two with the cats?
The second bedroom is small, child-size, which is why I expect the present owners are leaving, since there was evidently at least one child already present, and a second, or third, would easily have made the apartment overall untenable. I intend to line it with bookcases, of which, the six that I have, will probably take most of the wall space, leaving little room for other furniture. I am, after all, one of those dilettante bachelors, now.
What a great place. Don't worry about the green tiles. The right shower curtain, like something not purple for a start, is all you need.
Those cats are going to be so gone. Want a dog?
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.
As my grandmother would [inscrutably] say in such instances, "Wear it well!" It looks great...sunny and airy and the garden looks like a great spot for reading. How wonderful! Enjoy!
Post a Comment