Long Weekend
I planned my weekend around a Saturday afternoon Rabbitohs home game, and the fact that I had to go to the bank, the post office, and visit a doctor to have some stitches removed (minor kitchen incident). In the end, since the knots had come undone, I did the stitches myself. The remaining chores, at opposite ends of the city, presented similar levels of difficulty, but provided plenty of opportunity for riding my bike. It was only having to navigate the crazed Catholics meandering through town with absolutely no awareness of anything around them but themselves. Nice they had a good time, I suppose, but there were more barricades up than for APEC, and not all of us were headed for mass at Randwick Racecourse (where, I suppose, a trifecta bet could only be Father-Son-Holy Ghost). I’m not a little glad to see the end of “World Youth Day”.
The Rabbitohs game, however, turned out to be on Sunday, which meant I had to do my 16k run and head straight out to Olympic Park. (Speaking of which, Olympic Park, where the various venues left over from 2000 have little to occupy themselves, was used as a gigantic shelter for many hundreds of WYD pilgrims, sleeping on the floor of various gymnasiums and so forth, serviced by semi-trailer showering and toilet facilities.) But the Bunnies lost, badly, outplayed by Wests Tigers, and I returned home tired and a little muscle-sore, in rather a bad mood, facing a large load of laundry to complete, exacerbating the gloom of the evening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Tylenol is the drug of choice for muscle soreness in this context-- ibuprofen and aspirin are to0 rough on the stomach. I start taking Tylenol with me on long runs once I'm past 16 miles or so: you absolutely will want to have some along on race day.
I read this morning that Lance Armstrong had a sports gel every mile when he ran NY for the first time. I think that's nuts, but every 45 minutes or so really helps.
What are you doing for water? Are you using a water belt, or are there fountains along the course you are on? Water every three miles is a sensible minimum for where you are right now, and if it is warm, every mile is a better idea.
It's cold - late January-equivalent weather, for roughly the neighbourhood south of D.C., although by 21 September, I expect things to have warmed considerably. No water belt, few fountains, haven't much felt the need so far. The gel stuff is $3 for a tiny sachet, so I'm thinking of getting some Gatorade powder and cooking my own. There are recipes on the web, I hear.
It's about a buck and a half here, less if you buy it in bulk. When I ran the Hamilton Around the Bay the pace bunny, who kept kosher, wore a fuel belt with the bottles filled with strawberry jam. Worked for him-- the key issues are that the carbs be quickly and easily digested, without upsetting your stomach. On the other hand, the fuel belts do look a bit goofy-- Dave Nuzzo rejected the idea, saying that he didn't want to be all "Coming in like Robin". The shorts and utility belt look is unfortunate, but you reach a point where you don't care.
Don't kid yourself about hydration, though. Even if it feels cool, you are sweating, and hydration is a major issue. When Jim and I were training for LA it was January-February in Buffalo. We drank about a quart of liquid on our long runs, and it wasn't too much. You could, if you were so inclined, weigh yourself before and after, but I wouldn't screw around with that sort of self-experimentation.
You re-tyed your stitches yourself??? Just how bad a "minor" kitchen incident requires stitches , anyway???
And bleeding causes major dehydration, too, you know.
I think what he meant was, he re-attached his index finger with stitches. Very minor.
Dear Andy,
Did we establish which finger and/or why?
It's a simple matter of deduction. I think it's the only finger Greg has left. But it's ok. He sewed it back on.
Post a Comment