19 September 2008

Last Gasp
Well, the training is over, so it's all on for Sunday. I missed a few days, unfortunately, but most here at the end, during the tapering off period, so maybe it's not so bad. I've done 93% of the training, all up, although I admit to being fairly slack about the cross-training element. I mean, if I ride my bike around town for a couple of hours doing errands, stopping here and there, does that still count? I guess I'll find out.

The race pack is seriously disappointing. Not only did I have to buy the shirt, but the stuff they hand out for free is handbills - not even discount coupons. I mean, in NYC, even if the shirt was just a cotton T, it was part of the entry. It's not like I'm in contention for any prizes, so it's all down to personal achievement, now.

The NY'er had an interesting piece on marathoning a couple of weeks ago, centered around the great hope of the nation for the Beijing games (but, my, didn't that Kenyan dude kick it?). Basically, all the big races and Western elite runners are subsidised by us hundreds and thousands of slowpokes. So why can't they hand out an advance tube of Gu?

I'm also readying Murakami's memoir, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running," which is just annoying. Blah, blah, blah, I run every day and at least one marathon in under 4 hours every year. . . ." Bastard. No, actually, although I don't think memoir is his form, there's some good stuff in it here and there. I especially like: Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional (which I've since learned is Ghandi's). I may write that on my arm for Sunday.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I admit that I have no idea of the appeal [especially with no swag--what's with that?!] but hey, enjoy it! We'll be cheering for you long distance [so you will have to listen carefully]!

Bill said...

Have fun. When it is done you will have accomplished something remarkable.

Lay your stuff out the night before. Pin your number to your singlet, put the chip on your shoes. I hope you are going with the KRAC singlet. We could use the exposure. You should be plenty hydrated already. Any fluid you take in on race morning is likely to make you want to pee, so don't drink until you get underway. If you feel thirsty during the race you are in trouble, so take water early-- I never miss a table, and find that it helps.

Spectators often hand up hard candy. I like that. I like Vaseline, too. Remember to carry a couple of Tylenol.

I've only tried it once-- after Hamilton, when I needed to drive home-- but you should consider an ice bath after.

Have a good run!

Greg said...

I have to get up at 5, because the start is on the other side of the harbour and the roads are shut down from 1 a.m. tonight, so my train is at 6:03. In another few minutes I'll be having a lovely carbo dinner, watch an episode of the Wire, and then hope I can sleep. I've got three packets of Gu left - one for prestart, two for along the way until they start handing it out. (Registration presales - $3 each; where's a sample?) And I still can't believe I'm doing this. Maybe it'll be better than the 32k training run, but I'm anticipating 10k of serious discomfort. I wonder if there's a cab in Sydney that will accept me afterwards?

Even though my KRAC shirt is pretty groady, what with the vaseline-meets-laundry effect of some years, I've elected to represent. We'll have to see what the photogs turn up for us, but if it's visible, I'll spring for the jpeg.

Ought to be wearing my Obama shirt though, oughtn't I?