Library Card
I really need to get it together to get myself a library card. I’ve never even visited my local public library, and while the little time I’ve spent in other branches hasn’t impressed me, Glebe’s looks like it might be big enough to be worth visiting. I say this with a few unread volumes of one thing or another sitting on a shelf waiting for me to get to, but books are among the most expensive consumer item in this country, and I consume a fair few. Despite a recent move towards opening Australia to cheap imports, there’s a hue and cry, as there often is in these protectionist matters, of opposition. Australian publishers, particularly in regard to Australian authors, can’t compete against the prodigious output of America, or even the U.K., for that matter. And Australian authors can’t compete if they can’t even get published in their own country, and they won’t be if the local publishers can’t afford to stay open. Theoretically, I suppose, there would still be some demand for local product, forcing the number of publishers to shrink and specialize, but more likely it would simply send Australian writers overseas and to abandon writing, if only writing about Australia. Sure, we’ve got a Nobel Prize winner, and sure, screenplays have been adapted from our stories, but nobody much reads Patrick White anymore, no matter how good he was, and those movies didn’t do particularly well at home or abroad, so where’s the worth? I’m not a fan overall of protectionist trade practices, but I’d hate to think Tim Winton would have to give up or move to California, or that we’d lose out on the next Miles Franklin ever having a brilliant career. The small Australian houses have, over the years, been eaten up by multinational publishing and media conglomerates, and that trend would only be exacerbated by the end of import restrictions. It’s bad enough that television, movies, and Microsoft dictionary settings are undermining Australia’s authentic voice. Not our writers, too.
15 July 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Is content protection really what drives the high price? Do you see the same thing happening with recorded music?
I would have guessed that manufacturing costs would be what would account for the relative high cost of printed matter in Australia-- you don't have a lot of pulp wood, and importing it, like importing anything, is no doubt expensive. I've never given it much thought before, but books are relatively inexpensive in places that have this resource (and frequently literacy rates are phenomenally high-- approaching 100% in Sweden and Finland for example).
Actually, we export vast amounts of wood chips, at very low prices, and import it back as paper, ridiculously enough, so if manufacturing is the source of the problem, we're shooting ourselves in the foot, but I don't think that's the sole or even key explanation. Per your comparison, I don't know what the price of a CD is in America, but here a new release easily runs up to AU$30, and that's just wrong on so many levels. A new hard-back book - when they're even available (and the default is the already more usually inexpensive trade-paper) - pretty much irrespective of page-count, at AU$50 is normal, and, if it's likely to sell decently, that price wouldn't be unusual for trade-paper, either.
A CD will typically list for US$16 bucks or so. Allowing for the exchange (AU is usually around par with Canada) you are paying something like a 15% premium for CDs. Reason enough for you to keep playing all that vinyl.
Is there a sales tax or a VAT on books/music?
There's a tax on everything - it's called the Goods & Services Tax. Every transaction carries a 10% surcharge, except food.
A. Taxes ARE what pay for all the good stuff you Aussies enjoy such as health care and retirement so stop complaining about taxes. Government doesn't run on air any more than anything else unless, as one wit remarked," you want to see the Post Office run by volunteers".
B. Restricting the import of book IS something to complain about. Is this protectionism for your own publishing industry and/or authors or is this some kind of mind control? Either way, very wrong!
Everything is taxed, including taxes. There's a GST on the Stamp Duty to buy a house. When the GST was introduced, the States agreed to eliminate Stamp Duty. They didn't. Governments don't run on air, it's true, and universal, quality health care is not something I'd like to give up, but I pay my share and still there's waste, when there isn't outright corruption, in how it's spent.
Censorship isn't the issue, just trade protections, although we have a fairly robust censorship situation, too.
Well, as the daughter and sister of librarians, I have always felt that borrowing books made excellent sense. If you really love a book, then you can go and buy it to read again but 90% of the time they just become something to take up space and gather dust.
Post a Comment