28 August 2009

Birds of the World
Although the office park where I work isn’t one of the nicest – that would have been the one down around Georgia where I spent some time one year training on some software – it has the advantage of abutting a national park, so the wildlife is plentiful, if largely represented by the various fowl: ibises, mynahs (Indian and native), crows, and magpies.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
The maggies are big birds, on the order of crows, with a fearsome-looking beak. Their song is a somewhat spooky, fluting, quite distinct.

Every evening as I make my way through the street to the bus station, I pass one building in particular, with a curved face, along the top front edge of which the magpies gather, facing out into the coming night, piping home their fellows, it seems. Since their array is eastward, I can’t quite figure why that building and no other: prevailing wind for take-off and landing? The lowering sun’s not in their eyes or the rising sun is for an early wake-up call? In any case, it’s a pleasant walk, listening to them and recognising their sociability.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I couldn't seem to get the song of the magpie but I'm glad they pipe you home pleasantly.

I remember the gahlas (sp?) were a very noisy flock outside my hotel somewhere in my first visit and theirs was not particularly pleasant although they were, themselves, quite pretty.

Meanwhile...back to your race pix...You really do look very fit but, if you'd loose the grey/white beard, the good looking lady in the first picture might give your fit-looking self a second look.