17 December 2009

Running Hot & Cold
Kyoto was a farce, mostly because the U.S. bailing out was a great excuse for others to do the same or to do nothing. So my expectations from Copenhagen were not high, even though we have a President who recognizes the science and is willing to make an effort. Because the closer we get to actually implementing a way for every nation to participate it will indeed be the smaller, less industrialised countries that get left behind unless Europe and the U.S. are going to need to share the burden fairly and their innovations in carbon-reduction quite freely, which is unlikely to happen easily if at all. Otherwise, Third World industrialisation comes to a standstill to the point where they can’t compete and shut down entirely, leading to the worst kinds of anarchy, dispossession, and an increase in economic refugees, right alongside the waves of environmental refugees set to increase as global warming progresses, a juggernaut of inertia that carbon reduction will only slow over decades. So the haves keep what they’ve got and increase it at the expense of the have-nots, who continue to lose and lose. And then it’s still just an excuse to do nothing until we absolutely have to so it all takes that much longer and has an even more extensive effect on the less fortunate. It’s all very Aesop’s Fables.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I finish poking and prodding the US Senate to get some kind of health care reform, I will take up the issue of Climate Change and the absolute necessity for all jChristian Churches to explain to their believers that it is a pure sin to think "I'm not going to worry about Climate Change because I'll be dead before it gets really bad." Noone disputes that it WILL get bad but noone wants to bother himself with it until it's a worldwide catastrophe and that is totally unChristian! Christians believe this earth was created by God and God DEMANDS that we care for it.

I love tilting at windmills.

Greg said...

Well, in that case, good luck with the whole vegetarian thing. In fact, I suggest veganism. Let the bees keep their honey.

Anonymous said...

No. Veganism is not a solution to much of anything, at least in this polluting country. It's the BIG polluting that has to be dealt with. Cars and power plants and large factories. If we get that right, and I have some hope that the Copenhagen meet will have some mitigating effects to get us started, then we can scale it all down to the individual's contribution to the problem. It serves no useful purpose to make light of where the real trouble is coming from.