18 April 2010

Round Six
Bummer Bunnies, but it wasn't the ref's calls that did you in, it was all the dropped balls. Two penalty field goals didn't help, and neither did Isaac Luke's missed conversions, but it was mistakes that did us in. Still, not quite 1/4 through, so plenty of time to catch up and make something remarkable of the season. I guess this shows why Roy Asotasi is captain.

So, two more things. First off, track work almost sent me home before I'd even gotten started. I'd let two trains go by before anyone thought to make an annoucement that busses were on in place of trains, and let me tell you the bus out of Strathfield is a nightmare, wherever you're going from there, let alone the bus then to the stadium (which was only surpassed by the bus returning to Lidcombe station, crawling through traffic all the way).

As frustrating as bad traffic and poorly organised bus dispatching may be, nothing tops Rabbitohs fans after a loss. Listening to them kvetch you'd think we'd be in the premiership every year except for the perfidy of the referees. I've sometimes said it would be interesting to go to another team's home ground to compare the crowd behavior during the game, and as this was technically an away game for us, I had my chance. Everybody boos, everybody complains how the other side isn't being held at ten metres or is passing the ball forwards, everybody cheers penalties awarded and mocks injuries it seems. But how they respond to a loss remains unclear to me, travelling as I was in a bus full of Souths fans. I guess the Parramatta supporters all drove in.

No comments: