04 May 2010

Swing Votes
I’m not surprised that PM Kevin Rudd isn’t polling so well lately. Backing off on even a bad choice on carbon reduction was enough to get me seriously thinking about going Green. Even though, as usual, tax reform gets me nothing, I’m not unhappy with the cherry-picking and slow pace of implementation Labor conducted following the Henry Tax Review, I am unhappy with other, more or less consequential implementation failures. Do we have hospital reform yet? What about water management? Whaling? Getting scared out of the home insulation scheme was just stupid, not to mention ineffective communications management. (I don’t blame the government for contractor errors; I do blame them for letting the Liberals control the message.) A one-term Labor government wouldn’t make me happy, though. If the Coalition does come back into power, and worse, under Abbott, we’d be reverting to anti-labour schemes and the culture wars altogether too soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of "controlling the message", I find it astounding how the Tea Party seems to manage to spin everything so it is "Government Control" and "Too High Taxes" that are causing all our country's and the world's woes.

Meanwhile our coal miners are exploited by not enough government enforcement of safety regulations and our oil industry totally pollutes a major, major source of seafood and recreation by insisting it needs no more regulation than it presently has.

Seems to me Australia is way ahead in these areas.