The Next Three Years (approx.)
So having taken the leadership and the Lodge in a spill, Julia's now set to take the country to the polls: 21 August will see us decide if we want the Mad Monk or Ms. Gillard to lead. I like her chances, although it does seem the media's pretty well intent on bringing down Labor, if for no other reason than that they think they can. God knows their take on Abbott is disparaging when it isn't simply incredulous. My own take on this is that the Fairfaxes and Murdochs and Packers and Stokes think they were instrumental in the downfall of Howard, the longest serving PM since Menzies, so doing in Labor as a one-term government, largely if not entirely unprecedented, would see the MSM as king-makers for years to come. It's a fanstasy, not unlike Osama bin Laden's belief that having seen the exit of the USSR from Afghanistan he could do the same easily to the "sole remaining superpower". Even if Labor is ousted, newspapers and television news are going to struggle for audience share and profitability, not to mention credibility, something they sorely lack here as it is.
Anyway, I'll preference Labor, I suppose, if only because to preference the Greens is futile and might see Tony Abbott too often at Kirribilli House for my taste, not to mention the hash he'd make of this country if he had half a chance. I'm just sorry he's got half a chance in August.
17 July 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
MSM is in trouble everywhere. The art of really reading and absorbing news and opinion backed by serious research seems to have pretty much blown away. I've read your newspaper and watched your TV and there does seem to be a real dearth of serious content. As here in the USA, Pop opinion by former actors and such is mostly what's available (or, at least, all that's wanted), to most of us first world citizens. Thus, we mostly get mediocre people willing to put themselves up to "serve" in politics or rant on about politics. It's discouraging. I'll still root for the lady and be glad if she pulls it out.
Post a Comment