19 September 2010

Half Baked
I went to bed nice an early, but living in the precincts of Sydney University doesn't guarantee a good night's sleep, so about midnight there was a fair bit of very loud foot traffic returning from some exciting excursion or another, and it was all downhill from there. I was set to get up at 4:30 for my 6:20 start, but actually spent most of the hours wakeful with a bad stomach. When I did get out of bed, I realized there was no coffee and not much for breakfast, either. These things happen.

I filled my pockets with Gu and some money and headed out to flag a cab to Central Station (the buses don't start until 6 a.m.). And forgot my keys. Luckily, I keep a door key stashed, so I'd only have to climb the garden gate on my return. My impending lack of flexibility was dismaying but not daunting.

The race was good. I was finished with it by about 13k. After that I had to periodically walk a bit to relieve my cramping legs. Still, if not a personal best, all things considered, 2:07 (by my watch) is a result I can live with.

And it's not even lunch time yet. Perhaps a nice club sandwich and a quarter of a dozen schooners.

Update: 2:10 clock time, which pretty well tallies with my watch, as it took at least three minutes to get to the mats, but 2:00:06 chip time. I feel much better about my performance. A decent night's sleep would have made all the difference. And more consistent training.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Nothin not to like about a day like that.