Nobel Tipping
Ngugi wa Thiong'o is looking good for the Literature Prize this year, the first African since Wole Soyinka, but with Haruki Murakami and Cormac McCarthy as competitors, it's still hard to call. I guess the Nobel Committee's recent statements regarding American literature may leave McCarthy out. Ngugi would be the political choice, which seems in line with recent picks, and Murakami doesn't have as extensive a body of work. I'll go with the Kenyan. "Wizard of the Crow" was a good read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Phillip Roth.
It's not going to happen, but Roth has the body of work, and is not as parochial as other US candidates.
I love Murakami, but I'm not so sure the Nobel committee is as enamored with magical realism as I am.
McCarthy is an interesting wild card. I've only read The Road and the one about the pretty horses. Neither impressed me as the sort of thing that would get the Nobel folks excited-- a cowboy book? Really?
Post a Comment