Academia
The Social Network seems bound to do well at the Oscars. Even now it's still in cinemas, if just one show per day. But even more, it's just one remarkable movie. It's arc, which the construction plays with constantly, is remarkable, if because it so well encapsulates the nature of the central character's personality, even while it also provides a framework for understanding the "internet 2.0" and just what this thing, that nobody even knows what it is yet, as is so often said in the course of the film, is. Facebook, God help us all, is the internet now, and The Social Network really is the best movie of 2010, that I've seen, anyway. I think when I get to the early 2011 crop I can expect some remarkable cinema, but still within the conventional boundaries. I'm looking forward to Black Swan and True Grit particularly, but they'll just be movies. The Social Network is an anatomy course.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment