03 September 2011

Not Legolas
Today was fun: archery at Olympic Park. For AU$20, they give you a bow, three arrows, and a target to shoot at about twenty or thirty meters away. They give you a bit of a lesson, mostly safety tips (don't aim anywhere but at the target, please, mostly) and off you go. You spend a fair bit of time waiting for everyone to have fired so you can go retrieve, then waiting for everyone to get back on the line, but the pace picks up pretty quickly, mostly, and you actually spend a fair bit of your 90 minutes actually shooting, the final two-three sets including a balloon affixed to the target, so you get a bit of competitive spirit, if you're shooting with a partner or friends. I managed a couple of hits in the centre and only a couple over the top. My friend and I each hit the balloon once, so that was satisfying, even if it is a little silly.

The serious archers follow similar protocols, but their equipment is their own and their targets set much further back, naturally. Some of them bring scopes, so they can check how they've done or how they're progressing, while waiting for the retrieval phase. None of them looked elfen, either.

It was fun. My first three fingers still hum a little, and there's a slight ache in my left shoulder, but I think the spring sun was more an issue than any new athletic effort. I'd definitely do it again. The problem is not even so much when as how seriously do I want to make it regular. Other than the beginners class, there are only two casual shooters options, and the weekend one means buying gear. Frankly, as much as I had fun, I don't think I'm that serious. (On the other hand, carrying a bow and arrows on the train out to the park would be very crimefighter, wouldn't it?

2 comments:

Bill said...

Why is there always a bow-and-arrow guy? I mean, Green Arrow and Hawkeye are cool, no two ways about it, but why is a bow-and-arrow guy such an important part of a superhero team? Why not a javelin guy? Or a sword guy? Sometimes there is a sword guy, but he is by no means the staple the bow-and-arrow guy is. Sometimes there is an Asian martial arts guy, but that's different too.

Anonymous said...

I only got to shoot with bow and arrow in my Senior HS year (wealthy school), but I loved it.

I remember one had to wear a leather cuff on the bow holding hand to protect one's wrist from getting thwacked by the string while learning how to pull properly.