05 March 2012

City of Sails
As usual, these days, more time in Auckland. Although I didn't bring a camera this last trip, which was sort of too bad, as I climbed to the top of Rangitoto island, which is a volcano, 600 years old, approximately, in the middle of the harbour, and walked across the entire width of New Zealand (o.k., fine, it's only about 6 or 7 kilometers across Auckland, but the walk, especially with the divergences I took because of the mediocre map and sometime intermittent markings, was probably closer to 16 or more). But I did also get to be in town on the last trip for Auckland Anniversary Day, which included the Seafood Festival.

The Seafood Festival costs, this year, NZ$20 to get in. Then you spend NZ$10 to try something to eat. Anything you buy is pretty much enough to be lunch, so you either need to be very hungry and willing to spend an extraordinary amount of money for lunch, or very choosey. I fell somewhere in between, but enjoyed my selections.

Also on that weekend, I climbed to the top of Mount Eden, Auckland's highest point, and an extinct volcano. Climbed isn't what it used to be, as really I just followed the road up to the top. But it was a swell view.

Here are photos:

View from Mt Eden
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mt eden Crater
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mt Eden Crater View
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

View from Mt Eden
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

on Mount eden
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Seafood Festival Crowd
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Seafood Festival Fire
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Seafood Festival Flyover
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Seafood festival Stilts
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Seafood Festival Makeup
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Regatta
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Container Loading
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Container from harbour
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Night Port
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: