12 February 2013
Popery
I'm happy to see Ratzinger resign, because it shows he maybe has a better sense of reality than you would normally get from the higher-ups in the Roman Catholic church, but instead of a Latin American or African pope, I'd rather see a woman. Now that would be progress.
New blog label: "Anybody but Pell".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I say anybody but an African cardinal or Archbishop /Cardinal (?) Dolan of NYC. Dolan because he might as well be Ratzinger and an African because thye are all even more Conservative than Ratzinger. NPR reported today that Ratzinger had very recently elevated a whole bunch of Italians to the College so another European/Italian is likely. Keeping in mind, however that "The Church is the People of God" I am ever hopeful that whoever gets the job, the Church (see above), will always be with us.
Which reminds me, have you seen the Shouts and Murmurs piece in the Feb. 4 NYer yet? Now that is theology!!!
Agreed re: African/Latin American, but that seems to be why they're favored, so maybe the Canadian. What's probably called for is a new John XXIII, but that seems unlikely.
Shouts & Murmurs piece was good. I liked the ending best, I think.
Actually, having hung around with some remarkable Brazillian Franciscan Sisters a couple of times, I'm sort of enthused that a Brziliian could become Pope without causing too much damage. In the tough places in Brazil where these women work in hospitals, schools and community Centers as psychologists, adminitrators, etc. these women tell me their Bishops are supportive and on the side of good over evil. We can't hope for more than that. But, of course, I don't think a Brazilian is likely to get the nod.
Post a Comment