22 August 2014

Comics Is Guardians of the Galaxy as good as the trailers, or even the music on the trailers? Yes, it is (and so's the soundtrack, which I picked up as soon as it was available). It is, of course, a movie adaptation of yet another comic book franchise, and a fairly marginal one at that, one I'm not familiar with more than to know the name of the raccoon (Rocket, if you hadn't heard), or that it involves the Marvel universe's intergalactic characters, notably the Kree. It's full of little unreconcilable anachronisms and loose ends, not least being the nearly unintelligible Kree/Thanos subplot, but then again, so what? Sure, Peter Quill, Starlord, has access to spacecraft capable of taking him back to Earth, but why would he do so? Sure, Rocket is a raccoon, but he's smart, fairly talkative, and good with a gun; what's not to like? Groot, Gamora, Drax, well, maybe in the next movie we'll get more out of the latter two. The tree-guy's going to be the tree-guy and apparently not develop much further in his vocabulary than an additional pronoun. And we have the prospect of Awesome Mix volume 2 comprising the sound track in the sequel! Very entertaining, well-performed, very good to look at. Can't really ask for more in a movie and not be churlish, can you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spoke with your Sis yesterday and she heartily recommended this "Guardians..." movie to me. Mention of the talking raccoon alone turned me off it, let alone a soundtrack that you would rush out to buy.

Meanwhile two lady friends and I went to see "Magic in the Moonlight", a movie by Woody Allen so light that frothy wouldn't cover it. Glorious views of roads along the Cote d, Azore (sp?) being driven over by glorious 1920s sporty cars and driven by gloriously attractive, gloriously dressed people to glorious old houses and gardens where nothing important at all happens. We loved it! Keep your raccoons. I'll take romance...and , not incidentally, all Woody Allen movies have great sound tracks.

Bill said...

I was predisposed too liking Guardians, and I did, a great deal. Back in the day I thought that Rocket Raccoon was stupid, but now I respect the notion. There's a place for funny animals in comics, and it is an important place. I would much rather read one of Carl Banks' Scrooge McDuck comics than a current X-Men, for example. Rocket fit well into this universe, and I think it is the current "Let's Make This Darker Than Watchmen" fashion that has made me realize this.

On the other hand, earlier this year I re-watched "Howard the Duck" and it was worse than I remembered.