14 November 2005

))<>((
M. and I went to see Me and You and Everyone We Know over the weekend. Somehow, when we make the effort to go see something in the cinema, it’s always, well, almost always, a good pick, whereas renting ends up being a much lesser experience, by and large. I suppose I’m just being reactive to how much I enjoyed Miranda July’s movie. After all, Batman Begins wasn’t bad, really. Me and You is, for a commercial film, quirky, which I hate, but it’s also not a commercial film. This is an art movie, a performance piece, with very little story, very little connection between the characters, except for a very desperate need in each of them to find some connection somewhere. The broader outlines of the different failures and forms of success in establishing relationships are seemingly all encountered and treated with great sympathy and humor. I’d be interested to see some of Miranda July’s performance pieces, to find out if they’re anything like the work her character creates in this movie, if this movie is anything like what else she’s done. I’m not expecting her to become a new cinematic presence of any particular note, but this movie is enough to her to have a place as an artist of film.

No comments: