29 January 2006

A Man Walk into a Doctor's Office with a Parrot on His Head . . .
The idea of creating a nurse-staffed medical diagnosis hotline sounds pretty iffy. I'm sure there would be instances where the nurse would be able to say, "Take two aspirin," etc., but the reduction in ER examinations followed by treat-and-releases would, I think, be slight, and perhaps not worth the cost of setting it up and staffing it. While I'm glad enough that Health Minister Tony Abbott is trying to do something about the rising cost of health care in this country, the fact that the Liberals have pushed the country more and more into private cover has been of much more concern to me; this is, after all, where we rank-and-file members of the society take the pocket-book hit. So what's really at stake is the future of Medicare. Unless the government can find a way to continue funding it, they'll remove it, a piece at a time, and let us fund our own care, U.S.-style, and we all know what a success that's turning out to be over the long term. Also, the states have let the quality of medical care in hospitals fall, at least if we can judge by the number of stories of emergency rooms denying ambulances entry and reports of malpractice-related injury and death. From my own experience, I look at those with a jaundiced eye, but I also don't live outside a major metropolitan center, putting me at a distinct advantage in any analysis of modern health care.

No comments: