Not Sweeps Week
I rented a few weekly DVD’s, including one Australian film I’d neglected while it was in cinemas, Ten Canoes, a movie of Aboriginal Australia, a tale-within-a-tale of jealousy and desire and living the right way. I don’t know why I didn’t get to this when it was a new release, even, let alone why I didn’t go see it in a movie house, especially as I’d seen a fascinating short documentary on the making of. Anyway, it’s terrific. I liked the framing, with the top story in black-and-white, the present and past in color. Presented in three formats – all aboriginal language, aboriginal language with subtitles, or English voice-over narration with aboriginal language and subtitles (the theatrical release version) – it’s very accessible and offers a glimpse into aboriginal culture not commonly found. I highly recommend that if you haven’t seen it and can get it you put it on your list. Internationally renowned aboriginal actor David Gulpilil narrates, and that’s his kid, Jamie, as the young man.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment