12 June 2008

Progress
I've been tracking my marathon training in Map My Run. I'm pretty satisfied with how I'm going, although Saturday's 8K was harder than I expected. I guess I didn't get enough sleep or went out too hard at the start, probably the latter, since I still finished within the 5:30/K range. I don't know that the MMR reports are particularly useful. I suppose if I was tracking calories or weight loss, maybe more so, but the bars seem to be pretty even. (I also don't know if that link will work for anyone, although I believe I've allowed my training profile to be public.) It's not reasonable to suppose that I'll keep up the 5-5:30 pace over the upcoming weeks, as the kilometerage (?) piles up, let alone over the actual race, but wouldn't that be something? This Saturday, Hal Higdon ups the ante to 14K, and the midweek runs go from 5-6-5 to 5-8-5, and pretty much every week thereafter just climbs and climbs. Ow.

2 comments:

Bill said...

It's not as bad as that. It goes up two weeks, then plateaus, then up two weeks, then another plateau.

The plateau weeks are important-- don't try to out-wit Hal, you need that recovery.

And don't skimp on the mid-week run. That's where your base miles come in. I did as well as I did at Chicago because I was committed to putting those miles in the bank. They make a big difference when you hit the 16th, 17th and 18th miles in the race.

Anonymous said...

kilometerage???

See. Not EVERYTHING is better in metric.