Trail Mix
Wow, that mid-week 8k could have gone better. I went into the nearby park, following the road that winds along the river, crossing Delhi Road over into a small subdivision that more or less backs onto the industrial park I work in, intending to cut across a bit of the Great Northern Walk trail to loop back through and around. It amounts to nearly 8 1/2 kilometers, but that was about as close as I could plot, and a better route, on the map, than the 5-6k extension I'd worked out earlier. I didn't get lost, but still ended up having run for more than an hour, well beyond what my pace should have led to, largely as a result of the trail turning out to be far more difficult than anticipated. Having reached a rocky escarpment, I discovered the trail had disappeared, and had to spend some considerable time locating a marker. Once that was done, I was faced with a steep, winding staircase, cut in among the natural rock, leading back down to Delhi Road. By the time I got down, I was breathing normally, so the run back wasn't too hard, at least not until the final stretch leading out of the park, which, while not terribly steep, is a bit long, at least for that stage of the run. God only knows what I'm going to end up with once the kilometers really pile up mid-week, or where, for the matter. Tomorrow's 5k will have to serve as a muscle-loosener for the 16 on Saturday. I am ow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Finding acceptable courses is a challenge, no question. One of the great things about a marathon is that it is a great way to see an entire city-- because you see the entire city. Unfortunately, the training means that you see a lot of the same stuff, again and again. For a few weeks we were doing loops in Delaware Park, but the monotony was killer. When you get a little longer out and back courses will work better.
Breaking into double digits Saturday is a big step. You should probably start thinking in terms of somewhat longer units now. What I mean is, as you roll along it is natural to tick off the miles (I think you call them kilograms in Australia). Instead of puny miles, or klics, count in 5k units. I found this made it a lot more manageable somehow. If you are recording splits I'd still tap the button every mile, or every k, but don't think of these as the units you are reeling off-- you are into real distance now.
Double-digits? That's the last three weeks, mate. We're piling it on, now.
The route I originally plotted had a bit too many turns and loops in it, so trying one out through the park, essentially because I knew my running partner wasn't going to be available, so I felt a bit more creative, looked good on the map. Well, it certainly wasn't monotonous.
I reckon now that the 1k loop that left me stranded at the top of a cliff could have been replaced by a loop through the industrial park itself, but hindsight and all that. Anyway, 8k's are over. We're onwards and upwards from here on out.
The other thing that is helpful when plotting your long runs is to start running by time. You know what pace you want-- start your watch and go.
You haven't written about equipment-- if you don't have a watch that lets you record splits (and save them) you'll want to get one. I like the Timex Ironman, which is simple to use, and has a 50 lap memory.
I assume you are carrying water. If you aren't, now'd a good time to get a waterbelt.
Finally, if you are out for more than an hour, you should take calories. I like Gu, which is what they'll be handing out on the course, but you should probably experiment with flavors so that you can settle on what you like now. I typically take a gel every hour or so, and I like to have one before I start.
I don't know about all that advice. I just hope you are being careful.
Post a Comment