More Gloating About the Marathon
My running mate at work has pulled up with microfractures along his right shin, requiring rest for at least a week, if not putting him out of contention altogether. He's very committed, so I hope not, as I'm also looking forward to beating his time, since our runs together tend to be just a little slower, more often than not, than my solo runs. Still, he's twenty years younger, at least, so I won't feel bad about a different outcome.
I screwed up my Saturday run, though, when I was supposed to do 24k and only accomplished 22, as a result of not studying the mapped route carefully enough in respect to the final 4k, which led me to cut off a loop at the end. It's actually getting rather difficult to find longer and longer runs that aren't just loops around the same stretches of road, with a couple of final turns around a couple of local blocks, which also led me to a really difficult bike ride across a few bridges up north, and which probably won't end up as an new route, simply because I got so thoroughly turned around trying to find the bike paths.
Of course, I also recognize that all these marathon-related posts must be getting dull, a failing I think that inevitably occurs in those of us who train for such things, but it does become an obsession, so please don't think it's all just gloating smugness at how fit I'm becoming. I am pleased to go have some trousers taken in, just the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Running for time rather than map miles might help-- you know what your pace is supposed to be, and you know that you'll slow down towards the end, so just go out for two hours or so, per the appropriate calculation.
I'm also hearing very good things about the Nike/iPod shoe pod thing.
I've resisted getting a GPS, but that's another possible solution.
It's a funny problem when you think about it: you are running so far that there's no place to run. It is a much more common dilemma than you'd expect.
Yeah, quit banging on about the running and fess up that you turned 50 -- that's right everyone he's half a century old.
It's funny how the half-century mark is often the year to take on 26.2-- I know a lot of people who have done that (although I made it under the wire myself).
Some people skydive, but I think this is better.
I don't find your running posts not boring.
But why don't you pop on out to the Olympic venue where there are probably lots of tracks or whatever that will give you reasonable directions?
Post a Comment