Talking Down
I never voted for the man, but I have had little, if anything, against the Reverend Jesse Jackson, even admiring him as a candidate for President, perhaps especially in knowing he never stood a chance. But he’s a showboat, and known for his inappropriate commentary - remember “hymie town”? I’ll bet there a lot of Jewish NY’ers who do. Unfortunately, like the Reverend Al Sharpton, Jackson is regarded as an African-American spokesman especially when he does or says something harmful to himself or his community, a situation you’d think he’d recognise and try to mitigate, rather than offering the Bill O’Reilly’s of the world more ammunition. It’s not going to hurt Obama among his supporters, but it’s going to give aid and comfort to those who will irrationally oppose his candidacy, which will have the inevitable effect of swaying the weak-minded into a knee-jerk vote for Bomb-Iran (with cigarettes) McCain, just when they might very well be willing to try something different, as well as to support the disgruntled Clintonites in doing something equally stupid. Why do Democrats seem so intent on shooting each other in the foot?
10 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The equally stupid, insensitive comments by Phil Gramm (McCain's chief economic advisor, that the economy is really not bad and so Americans should stop being whiny about it will get lots of press.
The problem here is that the people it REALLY offends are the poor and Americans really ON'T care about them for the most part.
Irrational is when a tennis partner tells me the war in Iraq has been a good thing because it's taught those terrorists a lesson.
There's lots of it going around.. And when that person can't keep the ball in the court so we lost, I want to aim a tennis ball at her silly head.
I'd like to do that to Jesse jackson, too.
Post a Comment