17 August 2008

Yes, It's Boring, But There's Nothing Else
29k yesterday, and it took just under 3 hours. I'd pretty well psyched myself out regarding my chosen course two weeks ago, doing the erroneous 32k, but now that I had some landmarks, it actually went pretty well, getting out to the Olympic Park, anyway. Somewhere along the trip back, though, with enforced stops to wait for traffic lights, I started stiffening up badly again, so that - again - by the time I got to Leichardt, I was reduced to jogging a K or two and walking a block or two, which seriously ate into my hoped-for two-hours-and-forty-five minutes intention. Not too bad, but it pretty much put paid to the rest of the day, which was spent largely in hobbling out to the laundry and back and watching the Olympics.

I know that NBC back in the States had a hand in the scheduling of the swimming, but the coverage here seems largely to consist of water polo, basketball, soccer, and archery. I think you've got to be pretty die-hard to stick with any of these, let alone badminton and ping-pong. Sheesh.

Meanwhile, so far so good for Michael Phelps, superfish. Eight today? Alas, I'll be out watching the Rabbitohs take on the Manly Sea Eagles, one of the best sides in the premiership.

3 comments:

Bill said...

You'll feel stronger next time. You are now at the point where you are seriously challenging your body, and you will be pretty useless for anything after your long run. It feels like a hangover, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to see the archery, the water polo, the ping pong and the badminton. They are all fun sports I used to play but I don't watch TV through the day and, at night, it was mostly swimming, acrobatics and basketball. We didn't watch much altho' I did stay up for the incredible Opening Ceremony which was positively scary.

Anonymous said...

Oh. I wanted to ask if the Manley Sea Eagles are more manly than the Rabitos just because that's the name of their city.