28 May 2010

Fixing Cat
I don’t see any good reason to deny the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens a visa. I also don’t see any reason to reward him by attending any of his concerts or buying any of his music, past, present or future. He supported the fatwa on Salman Rushdie no matter what he claims now. He wasn’t joking, he wasn’t taken out of context, but he is an ass for trying to avoid saying he was wrong and apologizing. Let him go where he wants, but let him play to an empty hall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was he the guy who did the really lovely hit record of "Morning Has Broken"?

I guess he has become a Muslim, right?

I like your plan to ignore him. Too bad. He must have been a pretty big talent.

Bill said...

Not so big as all that. People like to argue that if there weren't religion there would be no basis for moral decisions. I'd take the opposite stand- religion justifies bad moral decisions. It is one thing to dislike "Satanic Verses"--I don't think it is Rusdie's best work myself. It is another thing altogether to advocate for killing the guy who wrote it. I don't care how much you like "Moonshadow", there is no way that Mr. Islam's statements are acceptible civic discourse. He has a perfect right to say any damn fool thing he likes, of course, but I'd say that his remarks on this topic fall squarely within Justice Holmes' limits on speech.

Anonymous said...

No. People say stuff like that all the time. As long as they don't do it or have the power to make someone else do it, it's still falls under the right to free speech