Elections
Julia Gillard is Australia's new Prime Minister, taking over from Kevin Rudd in a leadership spill. I think I prefer my elections direct, but Ms. Gillard is a forceful and intelligent person, likely to do quite well. That she was portrayed throughout the '07 campaign as sharpening a knife for Kevin's back was just mean-spirited, but Rudd's popularity drop over the last couple of months has made the transfer of power inevitable, so here we are. We'll have to see where this takes us regarding policy. I don't anticipate a return of the ETS, but the Resources Super Profit Tax - which I rather like - could also take a hit, which would be bad, politically, anyway.
Meanwhile, I reckon the Liberals leader, Tony Abbott, is going to find it tough dealing with a woman willing to stand up to him. Look for meltdowns.
26 June 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Quite proud of Australia, myself. I hope she can deliver as well as Obama has and will continue to try to do. You didn't seem too keen on Mr. Rudd so why not give her a try. I'm inclined to think a woman might be less combative, more conciliatory. sort of like Obama.
Post a Comment