08 August 2010

Postscript
I collect book reviews until such time as I need a new stash of unread books to work through, at which point I hit the Strand Book Store online and get my weight in literature shipped down for about the same price a new hardcover runs in this country. Or Book Depository in the U.K. One of those books I've read in the last two years was Postwar, Tony Judt's account of Europe from 1945 onward. It was terrific, by far the most edifying work of history I've read since A Distant Mirror. And now he's dead, just 62. Well, he's got a body of work out there, including an appraisal of the world at present, so I guess I know what's on my list for my next shopping excursion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, collect book reviews through the year (mostly fron the sunday Times). I do it to find books that might interest my family and that they might not otherwise have had pop up on their own radar. Mostly that's fiction so I'm interested that you seem to be leaning more toward history with this Tony Judt fellow.

Great idea to use the Strand.

You never commented upon your birthday present, though, so I'm wondering if it got to you. If not, let me track it down and then see if I can do something similar with The Strand next time.