02 September 2011

Robots & Magazines
One of those Groupon deals came through to my email account the other day, offering an iPad2 with a Phillips docking station for under a grand. A pretty good deal, even if the tablet discount wasn't where most of the value offered lay.

The iPad doesn't offer much to me: I've got a PC and a wired modem, and I already have a phone (that isn't an iPhone), but one thing I could have by buying an iPad is a reliable subscription to the New Yorker magazine, and for about half the price.

Every week it's a toss-up as to which issue will arrive in my mailbox: the current week's, last week's, maybe one a month old, or none at all. They arrive still in their sealed plastic, so I don't suppose the postman is reading them first, but how I can walk into a new agent's and see the current issue on time and not have received my subscription copy, well, I reckon it's either the distributor or the fact that the newsstand issue is $15 and my subscription would cost them money if they delivered it.

The potential for it to be a problem with the distributor is pretty high. Conde Nast was using Pitney Bowes, and the addressing slip included a "how's my distribution" website link, to which I regularly posted every week, highlighting for them their failures to be timely in delivery. At some point in the last year, a different distributor was chosen, still with a website to report problems to, but the delivery was nearly always on time. My updates to the website warmly congratulated them on their performance. So Conde Nast switched back to Pitney Bowes. And delivery is woeful once again. And there's no website.

If I bought an iPad, there'd be no issue with issues, but I can't really justify the spend for the equipment, although it would be only a matter of years and years before the subscription discount paid for the hardware. Assuming the software, i.e., internet connection for the weekly download, didn't eat that up.

And then there was Sony. They've got a new tablet, due to hit the market soon, and I like the sound of it. It's an Android-based tablet, for one thing, so it would be compatible with my phone, more or less. It's got a USB port, and its memory can be upgraded via SD card. It folds up. Folded halfway and turned horizontally, you get a mini-PC interface, screen on top and "keyboard" down. eBook pages can be presented verso-recto, just like a real book.

And Next Issue Media offer subscriptions to publications from five publishers, including Conde Nast's New Yorker. (The others are Time Inc., from whom you can get Fortune and Time; Meredith, who publish Fitness and Parents, and Hearst, for Esquire and Popular Mechanics; New Corp's in there, too, but not offering anything yet.)

My original dilemma became somewhat more acute when an online auction site started offering iPad's for bids starting at $40, but I like the sound of Sony's tablet, even though I don't give much of a stuff to games and movies and music on it. Since it's not even on offer until later this month, though, I can do some research. Like, how much can it be used to replace my aging laptop? With both 3G and WiFi connectivity, I could go WifFi only with my current internet provider and ignore the 3G calls in favour of my Optus account, maybe. Seems worth waiting for.

Now if the Atlantic Monthly would get on board. . . .

3 comments:

Bill said...

why does it matter if The New Yorker is on time? You won't be buying any tickets to the Blue Note any time soon, so the listings are really only of academic interest. I read them weeks after the fact myself, because A. and whoever else is in the house gets ahold of the magazine first, reads the funnies, then puts it down somewhere. The journalism is mostly long-form, the Talk pieces are all post-hoc. The theater reviews are moot for you, as are the dance things. The movie reviews probably work out to be timely for you.

Everyone I know who has a tablet loves it, but I've lugged a laptop around enough to know that I don't like carrying more hardware than I have to. One of the beauties of old copies of The New Yorker is that when you are done with them you can throw them out.

Greg said...

It's true that the listings don't offer much benefit, although there are sometimes capsules there that are very current and relevant, but timing, while not the most important thing - arriving at all being the main point - getting through the magazine so as to appreciate its currency is a matter of reading Talk of the Town first, mainly for the initial short essay, moving to the back for the movies, and then alternating until left with, usually, the longest piece and the short story. They've arranged the content so that this method sees you reading the most immediately relevant material in relation to currency and proceeding to think pieces.

Since I carry something to read wherever I go, replacing paper with bytes doesn't require any greater effort than I'm expending anyway.

Anonymous said...

Can you get the New Yorker on Kindle or Nook? I greatly fear one of those toys may be in your future. we stand read to cover the subscription any way you choose.

Totally dumb of The New Yorker to use such a poor distributor.

Got our new issue today and it, of course, has a lot about 9/11. I've always thought your 9/11 story was worth sharing.