Restorations
After one of trips abroad, I came home to discover that my stereo amp was getting no power. I tried a few things, different power points, checking for a blown fuse, but . . . nothing. So I checked the website for the shop where I'd bought it to see if they did servicing, which they did, or so the website said, and carried it in for a look-see. They wouldn't touch it. It's a Yamaha, the guy says, we don't work on Yamaha in-house. Take it to South Side Electronics, that's where we send stuff.
Well, it was far, I was busy, so, no, I didn't, figuring maybe the next weekend would do. On the way home, however, we happened to pass a street market, and here was an old Akai amp waiting to be sold. $10, the guy says, but I don't know if it works or not.
It did. Well, half of it. It had ports for A-B speakers, and the right channel on each was working, so I went mono for a while.
South Side fixed me up for less than $150, which, given that it's a $600+ amp and a new one would be at least that, was a bargain.
What I will say for the guys that wouldn't do the repair is that the components they sold me work well together, which wasn't true when the Akai was plugged in. The sound is back, and it's very good to have. South Side will get a recommendation from me anytime they want.
25 August 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment