03 April 2013
Straight Up
We hit the Enmore Theatre on Sunday to see Tedeschi Trucks, on the basis of their recent live recording CD, which includes some find blues singing from Susan Tedeschi and some very flash guitar from her husband, Derek Trucks. We had fun, but wondered at the stage configuration and sometimes lack of engagement from the performers, although there's a lot to be said for musicians that just get on with playing instead of capering. The music is pretty much just straight-up rock 'n' roll, which is no bad thing, and they concentrate hard on getting it done. The two drum kits were maybe overkill, but as one of the few live performances I've seen where that configuration is at work, I did get at least an inkling as to why you'd bother.
Tedeschi Trucks were supported by Trombone Shorty, a New Orleans-inflected funk band, definitely worth checking out. I may have to hit the record stores to secure a copy, especially with the guest line-up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment