09 April 2013

Thatching I don’t want to celebrate anyone’s death, except maybe a few people’s, and Margaret Thatcher had only a minimal direct effect on anything I experienced during her period as Prime Minister, so, too bad, so sad, and let’s all move on. Nevertheless, I was in England in that period, and I remember the society I encountered, a concept she denigrated and did all she could to despoil. It was a very troubled time, much more oppressive than a free society would be expected to be, although you also need to keep in mind the IRA, whose activities certainly weren’t helping. (But Bobby Sands, remember, too.) There’s a reason, more than just the excesses of “prog rock,” that we got punk music there and that it went the way it did, with its hard political edge. We got that in the States, too, although remember we also had St. Ronnie. I had no regard for Ronald Reagan, and insofar as his regime and hers fed into the triumphalism of each other, allowing them greater leeway in crushing unions and demonising the poor, that’s a big part of how I will remember Thatcher, right there in the same special circle of hell occupied by the Gipper. Not that I expect them to languish there alone for long. No small part of Clinton’s policies was all that dissimilar from Reagan’s, nor Blair’s from Thatcher’s. In fact, they could not have enacted the “reforms” they did without Reagan and Thatcher having been so successful in wearing down the opposition. It’s a great shame to all of us in democratic countries that we haven’t been able to develop the political will to truly stand in opposition to the kinds of policies Thatcherism represents. We have yet to see, in the US or Britain or Australia, a national government devoted to uplifting its citizens. We seem endlessly to play at “culture wars”, pitting rich against poor, a game only the rich can win, which seems the intent. Daughter of a shopkeeper, Thatcher betrayed her class, when she could have made things better.

No comments: