In China They Just Call It "Food"
There's a part of me that enjoys seeing the French word "cuisine" attached to the culinary traditions of one non-Gallic ethnic group or another, but I also find some satisfaction in the simple, direct acceptance of food as food, that tradition that makes pizza so nearly universally accepted, or pasta so nearly ubiquitous. Although pie in the Anglo tradition is by default a savoury dish, whereas I am accustomed to the dessert variety, only here in Australia has it achieved its apotheosis: the Pie Floater. Mmm, a delicious meat pie floating in pea soup. Now I have something to look forward to in Adelaide.
Seriously, I've had a number of meals in Sydney that were as bright and delicious as any I've had anywhere else. They have not always been "fusion," and they haven't always involved fish (although now that I am pursuing a lifestyle choice as a "pescetarian" that's changed). Kangaroo and emu, et al. will insist on appearing in many restaurants (there's a lovely image, taken literally) catering to the tourists and otherwise unenlightened diners, but offer nothing particular in their preparation or consumption than a try-it-once-it's-exotic experience. Australia has long suffered from its reliance on English cookery, but more recently it's suffered from its reputation, and that's just not true anymore. Asian and Pacific fusion have had a dramatic impact not just on what's available, but on the sensibilities of the dining public. The continued dominance of grilling as the technique of choice for many foods, however, cannot be in any way regarded as a failing: the climate demands the method, and the food is very tasty as a result.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment