Down in the Root Cellar
It's a good thing for Iraq, ultimately, that Hussain has been captured at last. "A hole in a farmyard" makes his hiding place sound more degrading than a "specially outfitted root cellar" would, and I guess that's the point, much the way Bush I regularly and deliberately mispronounced the ex-dictator's name in the 1990's so it sounded like the Arabic for "shoeshine boy." It's a smug kind of political expedient, and I hate the way it's going to give Bush II an edge in November 2004, or even just a boost right now. Hussain's capture does not justify the war. It just closes a chapter in a dirty little story. I'll have to keep an eye on the reactions from the opposition candidates.
P.S., I did enjoy the description of where they're holding Hussain: in an undisclosed location. Isn't that where Cheney is?
Dept. of Full Disclosure Addendum: O.k., so he really was in a hole. The SMH reports he tried to bury himself in the floor of the root cellar.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment