20 December 2003

The Employment Process
I've been working in Human Resources a long time now, specializing in database systems, so I'm as familiar with the ins and the outs of the process perhaps even a bit more than many. It came as a surprise, then, that the Catholic Education Office didn't even bother with a second interview, but went straight to the job offer. Just in time for Christmas, too. I'd been looking at a couple of other jobs, and had even interviewed: with Prada (but that was a long shot and wasn't going to pay well), with the University of Technology, Sydney (walk to work: what's not to like?), and a niche HR software development and consulting outfit looking to make a presence in Australia (travel, and a lot of it). The Catholics are the only ones who made an offer and they acted two days after my interview. I suppose I have my referees to thank as much as my qualifications, not to mention my desperate need for new employment. As the product of 12 years' education in the Catholic system, I should do like the athletes (Hi, Mom!) and thank God, too, but I think it's tacky. Tonight we'll celebrate a little - the job doesn't start until the end of January, so we still need to be careful with money. Maybe we'll get a pizza. Meanwhile, because I've taken a pay-cut, too, a little extra revenue won't hurt. Visitors are hereby notified of the following changes to our fee schedule: each time you pet the cat, it's a dollar. Thank you for your patronage.

No comments: