18 December 2003

How to Keep Yourself Entertained During Lulls in the Hunt
Riding the trains or busses out to various places around town as I seek new employment, besides the newspaper I try to ensure I am well-stocked with reading matter. I got a little tired of lugging massive hardcover books around, although it is good to get back to some of these volumes after years of neglect and having to say, yes, I did read it, but I don't remember exactly what it was like, so I guess someday I'll have to re-read it, but not right now, because I'm reading something new. This led me to pull down one of the books I got during my phase of buying and reading pretty much anything Penguin published in their Contemporary American Fiction series of the mid-1980's, Paul Auster's City of Glass. In this novel, Auster writes of a psychotic father and religious scholar's attempt to discover the original, prelapsarian language of man, i.e., the language of God. Scarey, then, that later in the week, while on an excursion in Newtown, I ran across a branch of Elizabeth's Used Books and the first thing I saw was a book by Umberto Eco on exactly that subject. Perhaps, instead of North America, the new Jerusalem will end up located in this other, old new place. I'll have to think about this and 'blog about it more. It's a fun topic.

No comments: