The Autumn Leaves
This morning, by the time I got to Lidcombe (maybe earlier; I was reading, so I didn’t notice until then), there was heavy fog across western Sydney, and I knew autumn had arrived. Sure, our apartment was a little chilly over the weekend, but it’s always cool in there, for the most part, because of it’s largely southeastern exposure, and standing on Glebe Point Road Saturday night waiting for a bus in just a tee shirt was cooler than I’d anticipated it would be, but something about the fog was the confirmation my brain needed to acknowledge the change of seasons. Probably it’s a result of no other visual cues ingrained. No leaves changing color, and I can’t trust leaf detritus on the ground, as the continuing drought makes that pretty much a given throughout the year. The presence or absence of pelicans and swans in the upper reaches of the Parramatta River don’t trigger any migrating fowl indicators for me, as a V of honking Canada geese would. Now that the temperatures appear to have settled well below 30 degrees, perhaps going running on Fridays won’t leave me gasping quite so badly. I want my 40 minute 8K back, too, but that may wait for winter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment