01 May 2005

Movie News
For those of you keeping track at home, Friday I took the day off to be gaffer, grip, and general dogsbody to M.'s film shoot. For a 3-minute scene, there was a surprising amount of work as well as a considerable amount of time just standing around, not just for me, but for the lovely and talented actors; less so for the other members of the crew, let alone the director (M., of course) and her Director of Photography. Who would have thought there was so much work in setting up lights and making them shine in the right colors in the right directions (and indirections)? I spent my time mostly standing holding one thing or another, generally being quiet, or shooting a bit of ancillary video for M.'s PGLA "diary," which she is contractually obiligated to provide to the producers for their documentary show. M.'s offered me a credit on the 3-minute scene, but I've declined. Having picked up lunch, helped her read through the contracts, held gels over the lights, and so forth, there'd be too many jobs to list in the time available. Let the ones who do this for a living get the credit for their work. I don't even have a union card.

No comments: