13 February 2006

Who's Your Daddy?
I don't know Glenn Greenwald, and I'd never have found his post on the new right-wing cult of personality ideology without Metafilter, but that's not the point. The point is, Greenwald's dead-on here, nailing these conservative so-called pundits' colors to the mast for all to see and clearly understand. I've been reading (much) lesser versions in the comments threads over at Road to Surfdom and Larvatus Prodeo, where Bush supporters weigh in regularly with violent and nearly insensible screeds in support of concentration camps and prisoner abuse and wiretaps and every other violation of national and international standards and laws regarding civil liberties and the conduct of war. And the first thing that comes to mind is that they sound like they take their marching orders from Dick Cheney and Karl Rove. (Worse, they'd be proud to accept that characterization.) There is a new conservatism in America and elsewhere that hates everyone who isn't them and fears everyone who criticizes them and wants Bush to make it better. James Wolcott calls them "bedwetters." I do, too.

No comments: