29 March 2006

Don’t Tell
I’ve been reading Post Secret every week for months now. I don’t know why, exactly, because it is often very confronting and none of the secrets revealed have any particular resonance for me personally and they’re more often really sad rather than in any way presenting a glimmer of hope for any of the correspondents, but I do it anyway. I suppose it makes me feel in a way like one of those anonymous helpline operators, where your only job is to listen just so the person calling can feel there’s someone in the world who hears them and doesn’t judge. There are many other things to be gained. I’ve learned, for example, that there is a lot more child abuse happening out there than I’d prefer to admit and that the pain of such betrayals, as well as all the other violations of trust, is very persistent. I suppose I ought to stop at some point, but the site remains compelling.

No comments: