02 May 2007

Not Conservative Enough
Imagine: Newscorp owns Dow Jones. Not yet, but just think of what would become of the Wall Street Journal’s editorial page if it were operating at the behest of Rupert Murdoch. The mind boggles.

1 comment:

Bill said...

To be honest, I don't see that the political content would change much, if at all. I can barely bring myself to read the WSJ for that reason, which is too bad, since the feature writing is the best out there.

In a way, I am reminded of the section of "That Hideous Strength" when the hapless young academic is put to work writing propaganda pieces for the press. He does one for the tabloid press that is full of slang and populism, and another for The Times that is high toned and moralistic. Both are utterly disingenuous, of course, but he is pleased with the craft he brought to the project, without regard for the legitimacy of the arguments expressed.

I can see the WSJ and the Post in that same light-- and, actually, I think that is how the operate now. Putting both under the same ownership won't change that, and I doubt that the readers of either will notice a change.