American Humor
Monday, M. took me to see David Sedaris. I guess the Counsellor and others of us had spoken often enough of how funny we found Sedaris' material that she thought it would be a special treat, given I'm such a fan. He is funny, and I enjoy his memoir pieces and so forth in the NY'er, but a book launch and reading was probably more effort than I'd have gone to on my own. Strangely enough, he was originally booked into a theatre venue, but things took an even stranger turn when they moved it to the Opera House. Nevertheless, it was packed to the rafters, nearly. I didn't hear many American accents, so he must have a following of his own. No doubt Sydney's gay population would have had something to do with it. The readings were very good. He got a lot of laughs. In fact, and in keeping with one piece that's never been published, he's better out loud than on paper. The interview with Judith Lucy, an excellent Australian comedian, was perhaps less successful, but mainly because it took some time to warm up, so that Sedaris spent a little time repeating himself, essentially. He's good, though, despite the odd nervous tic of introducing each piece with "I wanted to read something from [x]," as though apologizing for reading something different. He wanted to, and he did. I particularly enjoyed a Thurber-esque animal fable. Dead on. A nice treat, in the end, and I may have recruited a new member to Democrats Abroad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I guess I've heard that elf thing too many times. I'm not a big fan of Sedaris but I can imagine that he is pretty funny in person. Nice to think this quircky American can fill the Opera House. Nice to know the Opera House gets filled. I've heard the upkeep on it is murderously expensive. That says something about imaginative architecture, too.
Delighted to hear you are still active in Americans Abroad. Did you know they had a moment of glory at the DNC when they got to cast their 21/2 votes for Hillary and something like that for Obama. Made no difference obviously, but gave you all some publicity.
Post a Comment