Beatniks from Space
It's been over twenty years, but back in the day this was a crowd I was excited to hang with in Ann Arbor. So it was especially nice to hear from Rick van Valkenberg, even if the message consisted of little more than an ad. Beatniks from Space was a literary journal published by Rick and Denis McBee as the principals of the Neither/Nor Press. They were kind enough to include some of my efforts, and I understood at one point that they'd had sufficient sales thereof to recoup their costs. The Gary Reith piece is not one that I ever got to reading, but I have a copy, so once we're unpacked I'll make it a priority. I have read short fiction by Reith, and he was a prescient and compelling writer, by my recollection. As the publishing effort wore on, Rick pushed the Beatniks into public access cable, producing a show called Video Void. He later moved to NYC, which is where I saw him last, on the lower east side, running a store front poetry space, a la the Nuyoricans. I do wonder occassionally what ever happened to Denis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment