News of the So-Called "Blogosphere"
I check in with Berlinblog periodically because the posts are frequently humorous, always well-composed, and the site offers access to other ‘blogs than the ones I encounter elsewhere on a regular basis, selected with taste and discrimination. There isn't an extensive list of 'blogs, but the ones selected reflect well on the quality of the source. Witness: Klondike Kate, which is a little homey in its language for my taste, but has the kind of humor and overall point of view worth a look in. I noted Kate's recent list of conversation measures to help reduce the country’s dependency on foreign oil. Remember the oil embargo, Kate? Jimmy Carter may not be remembered fondly for his domestic policies, but turning down the thermostat is one of his administration's recommended measures that’s familiar from those days, as is scheduling trips in the car. Plastic bags is one that a lot of people don’t think of, but so’s another of Carter’s bits of advice: turn out the lights when you’re not in the room. Growing up on Long Island and being subject to the high rates of the local power company, LILCO (since deceased; now the Long Island Power Authority, LIPA, which immediately puts me in mind of lipo-, and you can guess where that takes me), we pursued this agenda well before and long after the embargo, and I swear it works, as does: decide what you’re looking for before opening the refrigerator (and when you’re putting groceries away, try to put the ‘fridge and freezer stuff away all at the same time) to reduce the loss of temperature – but that’s not one Klondike denizens need necessarily to consider a priority, I suppose, depending on the time of year. I haven’t added this to my own list of ‘blogs, because that would be poaching (no, not the definition about the eggs).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment