07 January 2004

Trilogies
It's a bit out-of-order, I know, but M. & I went to see the Return of the King prior to the final installment of the Matrix. I'll probably end up seeing that on my own in the next two weeks: M. was sufficiently put off by the second episode that she lacks the commitment to see the cycle through. Not so Peter Jackson's Tolkien efforts, although as we exited, both of us felt the Two Towers was dramatically the best of the lot. What I really need is to get my hands on the complete DVD set when it's available (note to U.S. based gifts enthusiasts: DVD, like VCRs, has a different format, a deliberate tactic by the cinematic industry to promote sales, er, prevent piracy). With the extra footage - especially the deleted Christopher Lee/Saurman ending - it would be worth watching again. Of course, for the price, nothing's worth that much.

P.S. Since Steve Martin is evidently intent upon remaking every William Powell screwball comedy he can, when should I expect him to do My Man Godfrey?

No comments: