17 March 2004

Fantasy Journalism
I have to think that I should either post less often or give up ‘blogging. If the statistics on Sitemeter mean anything, it’s that I’m not getting a lot of cross-referencing, and most of the searches I get are for puzzles. (I should probably stop using that word, too, as it’s only going to exacerbate the problem.) I don’t mine from any particularly unusual sources, so my “reportage” is unlikely to be fresh or particularly interesting to any of the people who are reading this stuff. Family I understand, and of the other known users, I also understand friends: they might want to catch up on what I’m up to on the other side of the planet; but what’s bringing in any of my fellow ‘bloggers or those who link in from them? Curiosity, I suppose, one-shots: there’s little enough evidence that anyone makes a return trip unescorted as it were. I’ve been trying to locate fellow Australian ‘bloggers, particularly in Sydney, but I don’t visit especially frequently, even if the content in some is notable. (Maybe I should pay more attention to the “Bloggies”, which have a category of best Australian or New Zealander ‘blog – except Pixelkitty isn’t posting, Scorpiogirl seems to be a national site with registration issues, Brainsluice is NZ, so Synapse better have won the award.) I think what’s really called for in my on-line life is, if not a reduction in the plethora of ‘blogging blather, a compendium of useful enthusiasms, something more along the line of Charlie Suisman’s Manhattan User’s Guide. Of course, since I’m not technically adept enough and don’t really have the time or the network to put something like this together, at least not without a major government grant and substantial subscriptions, I have to leave it to someone else. (In other words, this is a post of jaded carping. Sorry.) Of course, “SUG” as an acronym isn’t as good as “MUG,” which has multiple connotations (some more fortunate than others), so whoever takes up the challenge will have a little work to do just finding an effective abbreviation: Sydney Access Guide? Sydney Access Directory? Sydney User’s Monthly? Well, that one could work. Maybe I should contact Anthony Hicks to see if he’d get the word out.

PS: Nice scoop on the King Kong movie. If ever a tower looked climbable by a giant ape, it’s UTS.

No comments: