08 March 2004

Top Ten
I haven’t been keeping up with the Manhattan User’s Guide, but I did have to review their latest offering: a selection of 10 Great Things about the city as seen by some local ‘bloggers. Entertaining, and an interesting idea for some Sydney content. I don’t think there are any local ‘bloggers following this (mostly just Yahoo searches for crossword puzzles), so I’ll have to poll my friends. Is it fair to eliminate the easy ones?
1. the Harbour Bridge.
2. the Opera House.
3. Bondi. An obvious choice, but the surf is excellent, the sand is clean, and the amenities are all in place.
4. Thai food. Outside of Thailand itself, I’ve never had tastier, fresher southeast Asian food.
5. Mardi Gras. Sure, it was two weeks after everyone else had their parties, but this year 300,000 people turned up for the parade even in the pouring rain. Spectacular. I’m really glad they got the money to keep this up.
6. Govinda’s. Dinner and a nearly first-run movie in comfort and style, courtesy of the Krishnas.
7. Gleebooks. The best bookstore in the city.
8. the Sydney Swans. Does this count? Really, it’s AFL I enjoy. The Swans are therefore the default team for me. You can have one of the others.
9. Coogee Yes, another beach. There are a lot of them, and they’re terrific.
10. Sydney Explorer Bus Tour. It’s hop on-hop off, there’s a terrible taped commentary, but it goes places and lets you see things you might miss otherwise. Also the Bondi Explorer, which I’ve actually taken (twice now) and will probably take again.

No comments: